A place where ideas stir the waters of our mind.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

What kind of ripple are you?

I was the first to arrive at the pool area last week.  The warm salt and mineral water in the pool was smooth and completely undisturbed.  I dropped my towel on a nearby chair, and got ready to start 50 minutes of walking in the pool to rehab my leg and back.  Just then, I had those Jesus-follower moments that says "Pay attention...I want to show you something." 

Easing slowly into the pool, I immediately disturbed the tranquility of the water.  Though I was walking gently, I was making ripples in the water that followed me for the entire length of the pool. It takes me exactly 44 steps to make a complete circuit around the pool, and each movement generated new waves.  And no, counting my steps does not make me OCD!  There's just not too much to do walking around in a pool for nearly an hour!

After a while, I became curious and stopped moving.  I wanted to see what happened to the water when I stood as motionless as possible, just breathing and maintaining my balance.  The ripples stopped...almost.  I realized that as long as I was alive, breathing and standing in the water, I would make ripples and waves of some kind.

The verse, "If the salt looses it's saltiness, what good is it" came to mind.  My next thought was, "What about ripples?  If I'm alive, I'm going to make some kind of ripples...someplace.  A life that no longer makes ripples has lost it's savor - and has forgotten what it means to be fully alive.

So, what kind of ripples are we making?





No comments:

Post a Comment

We not only appreciate comments, we want them! However, to prevent spammers we have enabled comment moderation. Once we have reviewed your comment we will post it. However, we reserve the right to refuse comments that are off topic, spammy, or using inappropriate language.